With a growing list of potential health benefits, CBD for dogs is gaining popularity. More and more doggy parents are turning to an all-natural alternative to improve their overall wellness and state of mind. CBD oil offers numerous benefits for your furry friend and can significantly improve their overall quality of life. Here's everything you should know about CBD oil for dogs.
What is CBD Oil?
Cannabidiol, also known as CBD, is one of the many active chemicals naturally found in the hemp plant. It's extracted from the flowers and buds, stem and leaves of the plant. Unlike tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), CBD is not psychoactive, meaning it won't produce a high. With all the advantages of CBD on humans, it's natural product can also help your dog deal with pain, anxiety, arthritis, and sleep problems.
How CBD Affects Dogs
Using CBD oil to treat dogs is relatively new, and while there's no formal study on how CBD oil affects dogs, CBD tends to affect dogs similarly to how it affects humans. Every animal with a spinal column has an endocannabinoid system (ECS), which helps maintain balance in the body through a network of receptors and activators.
CBD oil affects dogs in different ways and depends on what condition you're treating. If you're treating anxiety, you may notice its effects on your dog in 5-30 minutes. For conditions like chronic pain, inflammation, or arthritis, it may take even a couple of weeks before noticing any changes.
The FDA doesn't regulate CBD hemp oil for dogs, and as such, there aren't controlled dosage levels. So before you give your pet CBD, be sure to check with your veterinarian first. Here are some tips from veterinarians with experience using CBD oil for pets:
- Start with a very low dose and closely monitor your pet's response to the CBD oil. If need be, slowly increase or decrease the dosage based on their reaction to it.
- Your pet's size, activity level, and weight affect how your dog metabolizes CBD. So consider these factors when determining dosage.
- Take into account any health condition that may affect your pet's ability to metabolize CBD, such as kidney problems.
- Look for the correct potency for your pet's size, as most CBD oils come in different potencies. For example, 300+ mg for large dogs and 75mg for small ones.
- Ensure the CBD oil you purchase is free of any toxins.
Which Health Problems In Dogs Can CBD Treat?
By bonding with the body's endocannabinoid system, CBD oil stimulates health and healing in dogs. CBD oil benefits for dogs are immense. According to a study conducted at Cornell University, CBD oil can alleviate arthritis pain in dogs when administered in the right dosage. The study found that 80% of dogs with osteoarthritis taking CBD oil showed considerable improvement in pain levels and quality of life without any apparent side-effects. Another study found that epileptic dogs given CBD in addition to seizure medication had significantly fewer seizures than those that only received seizure medication. Anecdotal evidence also suggests that CBD oil can help treat epilepsy in dogs.
Other conditions CBD can help treat in dogs include:
- Digestion issues
- Chronic inflammation
- Stress and anxiety
- Appetite issues
- Pain and soreness
- Sleep pattern problems
- Joint and muscle pain
- Cancer treatment pain
- Mood regulation
Side Effects of CBD Oil For Dogs
At appropriate doses, the potential side effects of CBD oil for dogs are considered relatively minor. There is no known scientific evidence on how CBD affects dogs. These possible side effects are based on how it affects humans and anecdotal evidence from pet owners.
- Dry mouth: CBD has been shown to decrease saliva production. Less saliva means your dog will try to compensate for the lack of fluids in its mouth and throat by drinking an increased amount of water.
- Lowering of blood pressure: High CBD doses can cause a temporary drop in blood pressure. While the drop is small, it may cause your dog to be sluggish and sleepy. So be sure to keep an eye on your pet if they are sluggish or overly tired after you give them CBD.
- Drowsiness: CBD has a calming effect, but when administered in high doses, it can cause drowsiness.
CBD Oil Droplets Vs. Treats For Dogs
Typically, you can administer CBD to your dog either through treats or droplets, but while snacks can be an easy starting point, oil droplets are absorbed more rapidly. However, not every dog will tolerate the CBD oil droplets. In this case, using CBD treats is a more comfortable option (and tastier!).
CBD oil for dogs can help treat several conditions ranging from epileptic seizures to chronic pain. While research into how CBD affects dogs is still minimal, the few studies that have been conducted are promising.
If you're looking for a prescription drug alternative for your furry pets to help them stay relaxed and pain-free, CBD is an excellent choice for pets. At Noli Oil, we have a wide selection of CBD oil for dogs ranging from a delicious array of CBD treats and CBD oil. Feel free to contact us for more information on pet-friendly CBD oils.
FDA Disclaimer: The Food and Drug Administration has not evaluated the statements made regarding these products. The efficacy of these products has not been confirmed by FDA-approved research. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. All information presented here is not meant to substitute for or be an alternative to healthcare practitioners' information. Please consult your health care professional about potential interactions or other possible complications before using any product. The Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act require this notice.